January 19th - Day 276

This guy woke up during the applause at the culmination of soprano Eleanor Briggs's recital in St Martin-in-the-Fields (accompanied by pianist Suzy Ruffles). Last year Eleanor sang in front of 10,000 people in Trafalgar Square as the winner of the inaugral Royal Opera House/BP Singing Competition. Today, the high pitch that she reached at the end of her last song, by Mozart, was wonderfully startling. It was probably that, in fact, that woke up the man.

More about Eleanor at eleanorbriggs.blogspot.com

Oh. I bought a theremin today. Arriving sometime next week. Yikes.

4 comments:

Quicksilver said...

Well Hugo I have now caught up to current date on blog - you have given me many laughs, chuckles and all out explosion of giddyness - love it. I have been particularly appreciative of the fact that you mention band names, provide links, etc. Really liked firey furnaces - would love to hear them live here in toronto. glad you have your mum in tow on this journey - all the best fron Canada and look forward to reading more tomorrow.
Cheers Evelyn

skitter muster said...

Thanks so much for that Evelyn. That's great to know it worked so well for you to read from beginning to end. Imagine if I'd managed to write for every day! And I'm getting slack with the links so must rectify that. Do you know The Fiery Furnaces or do you mean you really liked the post? Either way, yes, check them out!

Quicksilver said...

I really liked the post about them and then I googled them to check them out. their sound is great

thanks so much

skitter muster said...

Hi Eleanor. I did enjoy the concert, very much so. And the high note at the end was fantastic. I've been to the lunchtime concerts a couple of times now and there's always one or two weather-beaten guys having a kip in the side aisles. As a consequence they're possibly all a lot more knowledgable about classical music than they realise. Or maybe I'm doing them a disservice and it's their knowledge that brings them there in the first place!