August 12th - Day 116


Another day in the school holidays and another dash along the South Bank, although this time on my own. And another encounter with Djangology. What is it about 1930's Paris and live music in London at the moment?
This early evening the rain detered buskers and the only one I found on the stretch between The Royal Festival Hall and the London Eye was "reggae busker" Derrick from Day 87. The music in The National Theatre Foyer Bar (the Djanogly Concert Pitch - do they mean Djangology?) was finished and with twenty minutes to go before I had to get a train I was torn between going back and beyond the Eye, or continuing towards London Bridge and taking the chance that I would find someone who was not a member of the Gypsy-Ragtime-Jazz posse under Blackfriars Bridge. I decided to head the latter way and I am so glad I did. I'd barely gone a hundred yards when I came across these musicians just before Gabriels Wharf. More Hot Jazz, but not from the posse. They are Cyclown Circus (it's great that buskers have cards and flyers to hand out, but it does strengthen a feeling that I should find out more about the ones who don't). But they're not Cyclown Circus. They are three members of Cyclown Circus, three of 150 that have travelled with them (as them?) on oversized bicycles over the past seven years, blowing hot jazz through 43 countries thus far. Judging from the photos on their great myspace site the three I saw today appear to be core members. I'd never heard of Cyclown Circus, but I feel privileged and strangely excited to have come across them.

myspace.com/cyclowns

No comments: