October 26th - Day 191

I met Chris for a drink in Hampstead this evening. He reckoned Hampstead was the kind of place where there was bound to be live music, a confident attitude probably not unconnected with the fact that Chris lives in Hampstead. I know from experience that even places with a listing in the Time Out music section and a large sign outside saying, "Live Music Tonight!!!" are not bound to have live music. And sure enough, as far as I could tell, there was nothing doing in Hampstead tonight.

I made a couple of phone calls to venues advertising free gigs tonight, listed in the London evening paper that I'd found on the tube. I plumped for something at The London Irish Centre somewhere in Camden and, after a couple of beers, set off on my own.

Somewhere in Camden turned out to be a quiet square towards Caledonian Road called Camden Square. On one corner of the square two smokers stood outside an unremarkable looking building which was the London Irish Centre. Bright lights lit up two empty rooms at the front. A couple chatted in the quiet foyer. Had the gig been cancelled since I spoke to the man an hour ago?! I heard distant music and walked down a corridor towards it. The corridor turned to the left.........hang on.......

No comments: