September 2nd - Day 137

Oliver and I went to the Tower Bridge Exhibition today. Afterwards we walked along the North Bank alongside the Tower and then weaved our way through the City streets to the base of The Gherkin, because Oliver wanted to have a close-up look. After remarking that it was small and wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be a real gherkin, he followed me to Bishopsgate and over London Bridge. I was kind of hoping we might encounter some music somewhere on our journey, but wasn't surprised that we didn't and so, for maybe the last time for a while, the South Bank came to my rescue. We walked down Nancy's steps at the side of the bridge, past Southwark Cathedral, The Golden Hinde, The Clink Museum, The Anchor pub and as we approached where the path turns and dips under Southwark Bridge, we heard beautiful operatic music. We got under the bridge just as two women stopped singing and bowed to fifteen applauding watchers. They started another piece (which I recognised, but am unable identify) and hadn't got far when two uniformed South Bank Rangers interrupted them. Some cloth-eared, mouse-pushing Philistines from one of the local offices had complained about the music and these two had to tell the women, Elizabeth and Alison, to stop. But they loved the music and were loathe to tell them. Watching the scene unfold without being able to hear the words, the Rangers (Charles and David) looked like fans gushing praise after a concert. I got closer and, bearing in mind the multitude of musicians I've seen busking undisturbed along here over the past few months, asked whether it was regular policy to move people on. Apparently it is, though maybe, I think, only when a complaint is received. I didn't get around to taking a photo until after the performance and ended up only with the shaky image above. Still, at least the complaint wasn't lodged five minutes earlier or I would have missed Elizabeth and Alison altogether.

No comments: