July 27th - Day 100

This guy performing at Bond Street underground station in the tunnel that takes travellers away from the Central line is called Jean Claude Madhero, native of Martinique, dweller of Paris and resident of London for fifteen years. On his website he is described as "one example of a number of artists who chose perform freely and independently outside the normal protocol of commercial institutions. Outside of any organised environment, whether a theatre or place of workshop" and then, "His music is based on Latin American, Afro-Cuba no and French influences...Jean Claude Madhero seeks to champion this unique sound, Creole music, using it as inspiration to create new and original cabaret style performances." Later on I remembered that Dixie from the Royal George Ukulele Jam (Day 74) had recommended to me a musician who performs regularly between the Central and Jubilee lines at Bond Street and I think maybe it was Jean Claude.

jeanclaudemadhero.com

2 comments:

Dixie said...

You found him! I am so pleased Skittle Mustard! This guy is so brilliant- always put a smile on my face. I wonder what you thought of him. I recently came back from travels and walked from the Jubilee line to the Central line at Bond Street but he wasn't there. I was so disappointed as I was really looking forward to seeing him. When coming up the escalators I could hear music coming from the tunnel but it wasn't Jean Claude Madhero- I was very sad. But I'm so happy you found him (and I'm impressed you remembered my name!). Enjoying the blog. Keep up the great work!

skitter muster said...

Thanks for the comment Dixie and glad you're enjoying the blog. Thought he was fab - you can't miss him can you? I gave him my card and he gave me one back that was vastly more impressive than mine! To my shame I'm yet to add to the ukulele jam post - the more there is to write the less I get around to it. The blog, however, is really just a record of what I've been up to featuring photos and a few words. I'm writing outside of the blog as I'm going along. Hope the uke jams are going well (do you have a summer break?) and I'm sure I'll pop in again one day soon. Did you hear about (or see?) the 700 ukes at the Proms accompanying the Uke Orchestra of Britain?
Hugo