September 7th - Day 142

Ian and I went along to The Social tonight, near Oxford Circus, to see Go Kart Mozart, alias Lawrence from Felt, Denim…and Go Kart Mozart. Lawrence is a reclusive chap, recently dubbed by the music magazine Uncut as “one of the stars fame forgot”, so it was a disappointment though not a surprise to learn that a couple of weeks ago he’d sent a postcard to the venue saying he couldn’t make it. Performing instead were rock 'n' rollers The John Moore Rock & Roll Trio abeted by female backing singers The Loose Moorelles. Excitingly I found myself interacting with the band after the second song when I knocked over the drummer’s pint of lager on the way to the toilet…and also after the third song when I gave him a replacement pint of lager. All three of The John Moore Rock & Roll Trio turned out, rather unlikelily, to be former or current members of The Jesus and Mary Chain, including bassist Phil who I last met at Heathrow airport the week after Princess Diana died, each armed with a camera, chasing the actor Peter Capaldi across the Terminal Three concourse (we were paparazzi extras in a film and Mr Capaldi had to placate some members of the public who wanted to hit us by explaining we weren’t real. I’ve never been real since). I expected to see him here anyway because he was scheduled to DJ for the Go Kart Mozart show…hence John Moore et al replacing Lawrence. The Social is a long, downstairs, hall of mirrors with the band at one end, the bar at the other and people inbetween. Tonight it was very chocker. The band blasted faithfully through some rock ‘n’ roll standards (stand outs for me were the Bo Diddley covers) and everyone was happy. Apparently the second set would be even better – that’s what Phil told me – but we had a lift waiting for us at Aldwych and had to go.

No comments: