July 20th - Day 93

Leicester Square. This from the Helen Bamber Foundation website: Phil Knight (freelance drummer) will be attempting to break the world record for endurance drumming to raise funds and awareness for the Helen Bamber Foundation in Leicester Square Gardens (nearest tube: Leicester Square), 19-23 July.During this mind-bending marathon, the only time he's allowed to stop is for five minutes after every hour to eat, drink and have a bathroom break. (The current record is 102 hours, 49 minutes.)In his own words, Phil describes his motivation behind this mad endeavour: "I'm doing this crazy thing for the Helen Bamber Foundation, a charity I became a little involved with a few years ago. It touched me when I saw how they help women who are survivors of rape, genocide and other gross human rights violations, they do amazing work and I've always wanted to do something to help out so this is it!"

I asked one of Phil's colleagues why he was drumming behind plastic netting. She told me it was to stop him being hit by drunken people throwing things at him.

No comments: