October 20th - Day 185

A recital with a difference. Classical accordain. I never knew the accordian could make so many sounds. Most of the pieces Ksenija Sidorova played today were written for the accordian, but she also played a piece by Bach, who died 80 years before the first accordian was made in 1829 in Austria. She makes a particular feature of adapting the keyboard works of Bach and Mozart and there were moments when her accordian sounded more like a church organ. Over the last 185 days, I don't think I've seen anyone as joined to their musical instrument as Ksenija was to her accordian. She was seated, but they danced and swayed together as if they were the last ones left on the floor after everyone had gone home - it almost felt rude to be in the same room. The musical instrument wasn't the accordian, but was the two of them as one entity. I guess one could say that about many musicians and their chosen instruments, but the bond today was...well...remarkable...I feel I've not quite worded this post as I'd like, but I'm tired and need to go to bed, and I'll have another look tomorrow...

I had another look, and bouyed on by Phil's encouraging comment below, left it as it is.
Here's Ksenija on youtube  youtube.com/watch?v=2nuPrX4Umfc

3 comments:

pekaynelson said...

it was worded very well i thought hugo, i could see the scene as i was reading it, the accordian is definitely not a static instrument in my experience, it needs to "sway" a little to get the sound. Closed eyes are also essential?!?!

skitter muster said...

Thanks Phil. Actually she had her eyes open most the time - maybe that's why it was so striking.
By the way, what is your experience (with accordians)?

pekaynelson said...

LOL - experience with accordions is limited!

I tried to play one once - bloody hard! Maybe i should have shut my eyes ;-)