October 7th - Day 172

Yesterday I received an enquiring email about the blog, the subject heading of which was "busking website". Lord, I thought, are there that many buskers featured?! I had a look at the labels and, putting my defensive hat on for a moment (it never hangs far from my reach), I'd like to point out that buskers account for approximately 17.51% of the posts, which, although larger than any other live music genre thus far represented, is, I feel satisfied, not a number large enough to hog the blog.

Currently, if anything, I feel more in danger of creating a "church recital website". I was at The Temple Church today to hear and see a well-attended organ recital by Peter King. I wondered, both today and yesterday, why it was that the organ became the musical instrument of the church. This is what Wikipedia says, "Due to its ability to simultaneously provide a musical foundation below the vocal register, support in the vocal register, and increased brightness above the vocal register, the organ is ideally suited to accompany human voices, whether a congregation, a choir or a cantor or soloist".

No comments: