September 4th - Day 139

The long south side of Smithfield Meat Market is a fine building designed by Horace Jones, the same chap who designed Tower Bridge. One can get a very good view of it from the window seating of Pure Groove Records, situated opposite, on the other side of West Smithfield. There is only so long, however, that one can admire the doings of a visionary nineteenth century architect and after two hours I was begining to tire of red bricks. I was wondering, as behind me a sociable and excited crowd was building up in the shop/cafe-bar/venue to celebrate the release of Hook and the Twin's new single "Bang Bang Cherry", whether I could count the band's soundcheck as today's music (it's never a good sign when the band soundcheck half an hour after the advertised start - I must learn that start times in Time Out are sometimes made up). As it turned out I was able to stay long enough to see half the gig - including the launch of the single itself ("That's it...it's launched," said singer Tom on the song's completion). Helped by live-looping and powerful drumming (by Marcus) this duo made a big sound for just the two of them...a sound with a krautrock core that I'm a bit of a sucker for at the moment.
myspace.com/hookandthetwin

No comments: