October 5th - Day 170

I turned up at "Ain't Nothin But The Blues Bar" off Carnaby Street at 9.30, the advertised starting time for their weekly Monday Blues Jam. But so had loads of other people, some carrying instruments, and the queue to get in stretched back a good twenty yards (I stay out of the way of queues that stretch back a bad twenty yards). The doorman told me there was a one-in/one-out policy and it'd probably take an hour to get in. I have an "I can't be bothered to queue for an hour or come to that even half-an-hour" policy and wandered off.

I knew that "Molly Moggs" on Charing Cross Road had a Diva open-mic night tonight, but decided I'd like to save that for a proper evening out with a few friends and so headed for Leicester Square. Opposite the site of the old Swiss Centre Building was a guy sat in a shop doorway noodling spacy electric guitar. He had some cds of his music on the ground in front of him. I usually give money then take a photo, but tonight I did it the other way around and was immediately warned off taking pictures by the guitarist's associate who stood bouncer-like at his side. I spoke to him a short while later, after he'd stopped someone else doing the same, and he told me the no-photo policy was to prevent people from secretly filming his mate, his mate being called Paul Sebastian. The photo I managed to take was horrible even by my murky night-time standards, so here's a photo of Lester Square (lead guitarist of indie-arty post-punkers The Monochrome Set).

No comments: