March 16th - Day 332

Above, warming up, are schoolchildren from the seven Lambeth Secondary schools performing at Lambeth Music Festival's Secondary Instrumental Concert in the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank. They played one at a time, the venue lights picking out each group on their turn. The music ranged from The James Bond Theme and Deep Purple to Elgar, Handel and Cole Porter. Some of the groups also performed their own compositions.

The guy in the photo below, I saw after the concert. He was playing his improvised drum kit, but by the time I got my camera out, he was eating a large roll. I sat down and waited for him to finish. He made one brief and messy attempt to drum and eat his roll at the same time before he was approached by the security woman in the photograph and asked to stop (the drumming, not the eating). I thought it was a bit unfair. So did he and he got quite irate. One hundred yards further up the river towards Big Ben was a mime artist standing on a box, dressed as Charlie Chaplin in a tutu, who I would have thought would be far more of a menace to the general public than a man hitting empty containers with two bits of wood, but I guess the drummer didn't have a licence to perform.

No comments: