June 2nd - Day 45

Church recital to the rescue! By the time these 365 days are over, 1pm on a weekday will be as synonymous with me for free classical music as 3pm on a Saturday is for football (that really doesn't sound grammatically correct). This recital was in St Peter's Church, Petersfield which overlooks Petersfield town square. There was an altogether more informal and chummy feeling to recital proceedings today, not that the London recitals have been performed in front of organ dignitaries and church luminaries. I think it may just have been because I came into this church from the laid-back and sunny town centre, although the officious notice outside did say to bring your own lunch. I didn't have any lunch, but they let me in anyway.

Another notice, inside the church, claimed that coffee and biscuits were available for fifty pence. Whilst I waited to spend my 50p, the woman behind me asked me if there was any tea. I said I didn't know and suggested she asked one of the two women who were serving. So she did. The woman pouring coffee told her that there was coffee and tea but that, "I'm only doing the coffee, you'll have to ask her for tea. Don't worry, you've got the crazy gang here today". Then to add to the madness she said, "That's the milk" and pointed to the milk.

Mark Dancer, the organist, seemed a very nice and sane man who told the people a bit about each piece before performing it (unlike them London recitalists) and he had a moustache.

No comments: