June 22nd - Day 65

I went to another old bandstand today, this time in Finsbury Circus Gardens. And more free jazz, this time provided by The Michael Janisch Quartet - bassist Mr Janisch accompanied by saxophone, drum and vibraphone - all here as part of this week's Jazz in the Garden. Approaching The Gardens from Moorgate the change in sound from city traffic to live jazz is sudden and welcoming. All seats were already taken so I sat on a wall at the back. Every minute or so I felt a vibrating sensation and it took me a couple of perplexed looks at my phone to realise that the vibrations were coming not from the inside of my trouser pocket but from the inside of the enormous tube tunnel a few feet below me. These train rumblings turned out to have ominous overtones - this is a beautiful part of the city so I was shocked to find out later that the Gardens, which have been here in some form since 1606, are going to be destroyed next year to make way for Crossrail. The intention is to rebuild them, but for about seven years they won't be here.

One more thing. Why does it always seem to be jazz that is served up free to lunchtime workers? I'd like to see some variation - free death metal in St Paul's Churchyard for example. And organ recitals in churches - so predictable. Some alternatives would be appreciated, something like Casio keyboard recitals in St Magnus the Martyr I think would be nice.

(Why have my photo pixels gone all big?)

No comments: