June 23rd - Day 66 (evening)


There are 30 street pianos situtated in various public squares and parks, train stations and markets of London until July 13th. I was going through town this evening so thought a good bet for music would be the piano in Leicester Square. At first I thought that the mighty throng of people gathered around the north-west corner of the square were there for some other reason - a "standing in the north-west corner of Leicester Square and facing south-east" flash mob perhaps. But hidden in the midst of the crowd was a piano and piano player (and a guitarist and trombonist). These guys, playing boogie-woogie, Beatles and Stones, represented "Busking cancer", raising cash for Cancer Research UK. The pianos themselves come under the banner "Play me, I'm Yours" and are an artwork by artist Luke Jerram, presented for Sing London and The City of London Festival. And Sing London are a non-profit organisation set up to unite the city in song. Their site in turn led me back to the streetpianos site and the list of various events going on around various pianos, and with it the dilemma of whether I can allow myself more than one streetpiano experience. I notice, for example, that tomorrow the Camberwell piano will be surrounded by the Camberwell Complaints Chorus...

1 comment:

Mojo Wellington said...

Hi,

A worthy ambition to try and experience music every day for a year - I hope the enthusiasm keeps on rolling during the winter!

Thanks for coming along on Tuesday - you should stick the picture and report on the street pianos website.

Cheers and good luck,

Mojo (piano)